It was a mistake. I know that now. It was all in fun until I allowed my dear sons to open a portal to a place we shouldn’t have gone and my own curiosity exposed the boys to something sinister. A better mother would have seen the danger coming.

It all started innocently enough and, as the youngest daughter of Hungarian immigrants, I claim Gypsy ancestry and grew up in an atmosphere of superstition and mysticism. From an early age, I accepted that our universe was not one-dimensional, linear, or fully explained. So a Ouija board sold by Hasbro seemed harmless enough.

My first experience with the game was at a party with some girlfriends. Nora Jean explained how to use it.

Two people placed their fingertips on the heart-shaped planchette thingy. It had a view-port through which you could read the words, letters, and numbers printed on the surface of the board. If you concentrated hard enough, a spirit or ghost would take control of the planchette and communicate with the living world by moving it around the board, spelling words, using numbers, or sliding over the words YES, NO, or GOODBYE. It was fun whenever it moved but I was suspicious that some of the girls might be pushing. Nora Jean, though, insisted that it was a real phenomenon. She knew people who had learned the future and talked to dead relatives. She even claimed that bigger objects could be moved with the help of the spirit world.

It got me thinking about the possibilities. Could we call on specific relatives or celebrities that had passed on? And, if we did get someone on that spectral line, would they answer questions, and tell the truth. I knew who was first on my ghostly contact list – my father. I had lots of questions for him. Like why he beat up my mother when I was five years old, and why he took the wheat harvest money the autumn after he got out of jail and, most of all, what he’d done with that money after settling in Kelowna. Was some of it buried at the property on Fuller Avenue, like my mother suspected? After he died in 1949 and Mama took possession of the house in Kelowna she never recovered a penny of the money he’d taken from us. My older sister, Elizabeth, now lives alone in that house and the treasure might still be there. Darn right I had questions for him.

So, I bought a Ouija board from Woodward’s and gave it to the boys for Christmas in 1970 or maybe it was ’71. It has been so many years and the passage of time doesn’t mean so much to me any more. Ronnie, my eldest son, must have been fourteen. That would have made Chuck twelve and Bruce ten years old. David, the youngest, would have only been six or so. They were everything to me and Christmas was always so much fun.

I waited until the other gifts were open and the living room floor was buried under toys, new clothes, torn wrapping paper, and happy boys in flannel pjamas. I hadn’t told my husband about my special gift. Mel did not approve of anything that resembled witchcraft or the occult.

             Anyway, he wasn’t happy when he realized what I’d given the kids but I also knew he wouldn’t make a fuss on Christmas day. He was passionate about keeping Christmas merry and no angry words or dissonance was allowed in his house over the holidays. The boys were excited to give a try, despite their father’s disapproval, and took to it like ducks to water. I tried it as well, without much success, so I let them control the medium they called Weejee.

At first we made contact with various spirits who only answered basic “Yes” or “No” questions and shared very little of interest. After several weeks, we noticed that some of the spirits made regular contact. A five-year-old boy who died in the early 1900’s and a old man from 1800’s England. They were a bit chattier but the detail was still sparse and inconsistent. If the past, the little they revealed, was hazy then asking the spirits to show us the future was a total flop. Nothing they told us came true. Once we asked for the time of arrival of my father-in-law, who was driving up from Victoria. I think my husband’s guess was closer than any of the wild guesses from the other side. Maybe they just didn’t care about our world any more. Maybe we just bored them or maybe we contacted only the evil and mischievous. It didn’t bode well for my quest, and in the end, I never did learn anything from the spirits claiming to be my father. Either that, or it really was him, and he was a bastard, even in hell.

After a few months, the boys stopped calling on the Weejee but were still fascinated by their ability to move the planchette with a light touch of their fingertips. Ronnie speculated that they were actually moving it with some sort of brainpower. I didn’t believe this and maintained my position that it was a supernatural power. It was the only thing that made sense to me but when the kids started making other objects move, I started to wonder what was really going on. Ronnie and Chuck could just brush the rim of a plate and it would move easily over a smooth counter or tabletop. Sometimes, I swear, tableware skittered here and there with fingertips just hovering over the surface.

I was both mildly concerned and enthralled by their new skills so, at their urging, I finally agreed to experiment with something bigger. I have to admit that part of me hoped that the effort. Besides, Mel was increasingly upset by the things he heard and witnessed around the dinner table and he blamed me for introducing black magic into his house. So one late October night while he was out of town on business, the boys and I decided to make an attempt on the coffee table. They moved it onto the linoleum of the dining room and knelt ’round. I was on a chair behind Bruce, facing Ronnie at the other end. Chuck was on the side to my left across from little David. They placed their hands, palm down, on the tabletop. Ronnie checked everyone to ensure that their thumbs were visible to ensure a true test.

The room went silent and for a couple of minutes they concentrated, summoning a power we couldn’t explain. Finally it twitched tentatively, not sure where to go. After another moment of hesitation it rotated clockwise between my sons. It picked up speed and stopped abruptly before moving back and forth, to and fro, towards each of the boys until choosing David for special attention. It slid in his direction and stopped when he was lying face up on the floor underneath the table. He managed to keep his hands stuck on top in order not to break the spell though. It felt like an act of aggression and concern began to bloom in my belly but David just giggled and sat up when the table re-centered itself.

Ronnie said, “Let’s try to lift it.”

The boys nodded and redoubled their focus. After a long moment Bruce’s end tapped three times. A cold worm of fear slithered up my spine and the back of my scalp squirmed.

Then the side closest to Chuck lifted off the floor and hung there, unsupported. The boy’s eyes were wide with wonder but they seemed determined to make it levitate.

I don’t know if the other legs rose as well because an overwhelming terror seized me and I yelled, “Stop! Let it go!”

They jerked their hands off the table as if it were suddenly white hot and took turns staring at the table and me for a few minutes. Without further explanation, I told them that we couldn’t do that anymore. They’re good boys and as far as I know they never did.

I couldn’t tell them what I had sensed but I knew, in no uncertain terms, that we had invited a powerful, evil spirit into our house. I could feel a malevolent force cooing and caressing my sons, testing them for ripeness like a housewife standing over a bin of peaches.

I never forgave myself for exposing my children to such supernatural danger and remained ever vigilant from that day forward.

They all survived my infrequent lapses of judgement and they’re all grown men with children of their own. I know so much more and have accumulated knowledge that I wish I could share with them. I even know the location of a certain metal box full of seventy-year-old cash.

If only one of them would answer the call and pick up that old Weejee board.